Painting Fundamentals (Color 101) – Art Class
With Kirah Van Sickle
For all levels, beginner to advanced and all painting media: oil, acrylic, watercolor and pastel.
Let’s explore the power of color and build confidence in working with color relationships. Through demos, a look at historical context and plenty of panting exercises, artists will gain confidence in color-mixing, the foundations of color theory, and all the rich color palettes that will improve color acuity and choices. Instructor will have still life setups as well as photo references.
Class Dates: January 13, 20, 27; February 3, 10, 17
Missed classes may not be substituted or made up for another class. Classes are non-transferable and are non refundable.
You must register for classes before attending by calling 597-8877, ext. 101 or 107, or stop by the Community Center Front Reception Desk
- Basic Double Primary palette of Titanium White, Mars Black, Cadmium Y Light, Cadmium Y Medium, Cerulean, Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Red Medium, Alizarin Crimson (or Quinacridone Magenta), Burnt Siena and Burnt Umber.
- Disposable paint palette
- Canvas Pad of 10 sheets unstretched canvas or canvas panels: 8 x 8″ square or 9 x 12″ or 11 x 14″ are good sizes for studies. (Do NOT get canvas PAPER or mixed media paper, it will not hold up to the paint). For watercolorists, 140# cold press paper blocks or pads are great.
- Your preferred brushes, I recommend for acrylic and oil filberts or brights (flats) sizes 1/4″, 1/2″ and 3/4″ bristle widths. For watercolor, #6, #8, #10 rounds and 1/2″ wash flats are good sizes.
- Apron, paper towels
- Notebook or sketchbook for planning, notes, small quick studies
- Turpenoid natural for oil painters. apron, paper towels, water container